I don’t have much to say about the follow-up appointment we had with the GI doctor, apart from it took way longer than it should have because someone forgot to notify the doctor that we were there.

In any case, we got another prescription of omeprazole where we have to give her 2.4 ml twice a day. We also have to wait for someone to call us about scheduling a pH probe and a stomach emptying test. The pH probe is to see if acid comes up the esophagus, and the stomach emptying test is to see how quickly the stomach empties. The doctor wants the stomach emptying test to evaluate the volume capacity of Liliana’s stomach because really, she needs to be taking more volume over a shorter period of time as she keeps growing. These tests have to be done over a long period of time, so that means Liliana will have to stay at the hospital overnight.

With the way things are going, Liliana will probably be getting a gastrostomy done, which is where they surgically put a feeding tube straight into her stomach. The pH probe and the stomach emptying test will be used to evaluate her reflux and will determine whether or not Liliana will get fundoplication — the surgery to correct reflux. They will most likely also take out Liliana’s gallstones while they have her in surgery.

While another surgery isn’t something that we would like to subject Liliana to, it would be nice to not have to deal with the reflux anymore. No more picking Liliana up in your arms just to find her back is soaked, no more throw-up stains on our clothing, and no longer will a surprise upchuck (when I’m sitting down and holding her) dribble down my leg. The biggest thing though is that Liliana will feel better. She’ll keep her food down and grow, grow, grow. I think that’s the best thing that can come out of this.